Why I Need Diverse Games
So, I created this hashtag, #INeedDiverseGames. I did it because I am tired of not seeing myself in the games I have spent many years playing. I am tired of being the trope, the joke, the one that gets fridged early in the game to fuel manpain for the PLOT.
I am also tired of the same.fucking.scruffy.ass.dude protag in 9 out of 10 games released in a given year. I am tired of hero dude saves the world, gets the girl plot lines.
There is more to do in a game, there is more to tell in a game than the same recycled, boring stories over and over. I am sick of FPS games where my only goal is to kill, kill, kill. That gets old after a while. Or not, the FPT market is still kicking after all.
So started that tag after being burned entirely the fuck out on the current offerings. After being disappointed in choices available to me in current games or games yet to come. I created it because I was just done in.
So that’s why it’s there. I’m glad to see it picking up steam and getting lots of retweets and this tumblr getting submissions. However, I do want to remind people what the hashtag is NOT about.
#INeedDiverseGames is not:
- Some SJW plot to take the boys toys away
- Some evil SJW plot to undermine the gaming industry and make it listen to me. (If I had that kind of power, I would have used it already)
- Related to GamerGate. (I am still floored at how anyone made that leap of illogic, but whatever)
- Created by GamerGate people
- Some feminist gamer illuminati plot ala point #2. (Cause if it is, sign me up!)
As a reminder:
This tag wasn’t trending long before it got picked up by trolls, reddit and gamergate folks. So tread carefully in that tag when you wade in.
my favorite one of the bunch (from a friend, so BIAS)